SEARCH
Search


The Hewer

Halliday Park, Cairo IL 62914 |
Southernmost Illinois

The Hewer is a bronze casting of a marble statue created by George Barnard for the World’s Fair in St. Louis, commissioned in 1901 by the artist’s friend Miss Mary Halliday, a Cairo artist. It was presented to the City in 1906 by Mrs. W. P. Halliday and children in memory of Capt. W. P. Halliday. Lorado Taft declared it to be one of the two best nudes in America.


Return to Previous Page


WHAT'S NEARBY...

Fort Defiance Park

Southernmost Illinois

Confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers - Observation Deck

Southernmost Illinois

Magnolia Manor

Southernmost Illinois