Fort de Chartres State Historic Site

1350 State Route 155, Prairie du Rocher IL 62277 | 618-284-7230
The Great River Road in Illinois

The third French fort to be named “de Chartres” was built in the 1750s and served as the French seat of government and chief military installation in the Illinois Country. The current Fort de Chartres, is being rebuilt on those foundations, including portions of the forts walls and several reconstructed stone buildings, one of which serves as a museum. A restored powder magazine in the fort is believed to be the oldest building in Illinois. The Fort de Chartres Summer and Winter Rendezvous give visitors a taste of what life was like in French controlled Illinois in the 1700s. Part of the site is managed by the Illinois DNR for hunting. Due to the historical nature of the site, hunting is by primitive (flintlock or percussion-cap) muzzle-loading firearms or bow & arrow only.


Return to Previous Page


WHAT'S NEARBY...

Fults Hill Prairie Nature Preserve

3

Kidd Lake Marsh State Natural Area

3

St. Genevieve-Modoc Ferry

3