Campbell’s Island was the site of one of the westernmost battles in the war of 1812, the Battle of Rock Island Rapids. In the battle, a group of British-allied Sauk, Fox, and Kickapoo attacked three gunboats carrying military supplies up the Mississippi River to Fort Shelby. The Native Americans were successful and forced the Americans, led by Lieutenant John Campbell to turn back. The site contains a granite monument overlooking the river with a bronze plaque that commemorates the battle. There is also a peace garden, four concrete benches arranged in a “Sacred Circle” and decorated with mosaic tile in Sauk and Mesquakie motifs.